Triad NOW is a local chapter of the National Organization for Women. NOW is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States with hundreds of thousands of contributing members and hundreds of state and local chapters across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Our mission is to bring women into full participation in society – sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination. To that end, we focus on six core issues:
- Constitutional equality through the Equal Rights Amendment
- Ending violence against women
- Reproductive Rights
- LGBTQ rights
- Racial justice
- Economic justice
The Triad NOW intern will focus on two primary tasks:
- Conduct community assessment research
- Assist with campus and community outreach activities
Examples of activities include:
- Research: What are the current levels of women’s participation in state and local government, and what are the potential barriers to women’s participation? Collect the most recent statistics on domestic violence, gender and race-based economic disparities. We are seeking to illustrate where the Triad stands on NOW’s six core issues.
- Communications: Research, draft and edit articles for Triad NOW’s website and Facebook page.
- Chapter Development: The nuts and bolts of grassroots organizing for Triad NOW. Work on rallies, campaigns, member outreach, and materials development.
Prospective interns should be hard working, enthusiastic and flexible individuals who possess or seek a working knowledge of women’s issues and feminist organizing.
Qualifications: Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change; excellent written and verbal communication skills; familiarity with Facebook (includes personal usage); experience with other social media platforms, such as Twitter, Google+, Pinterest or Tumblr is a plus; strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and professional demeanor; general computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications; WordPress experience is a plus.
Ideal candidates will:
- Have progressive values and be interested in working on progressive issues like Reproductive Rights, LGBT rights, Racial Justice, the Equal Rights Amendment, Economic Justice and Ending Violence Against Women.
- Be ready to work hard and take on new challenges and responsibilities.
- Have a passion for social justice and be able to demonstrate how you’ve participated in social justice activities.
- Live in the Triad. Triad NOW does not provide housing.
This is a volunteer, unpaid internship. Start and end dates are flexible. A minimum of 5 hours per week is expected. College credit for these internships can be arranged.
How to Apply:
Interested interns must send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org or to our snail mail address, P.O. Box 20222, Winston-Salem, NC 27120:
- A completed application form
- A cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- A writing sample