We had a great group of 23 women attending September’s meeting on Tuesday. Our guest speaker, Elizabeth Kehoe who formerly worked at the American Bar Association Juvenile Justice division, shared some very specific techniques for getting legislation passed, both at the State and Federal levels.
Some highlights included:
1) Define your goal, the narrower the better,
2) Organize all shareholder groups and appeal to their specific concerns,
3) Concentrate on the key decision makers and give them “cover” for voting the way you want them to,
4) Make sure your messengers are top experts in their fields and keep them out front, with science and facts to support them,
5) Some can never be persuaded…step around them,
6) Watch what’s currently happening and use it to bolster your arguments,
7) Above all, practice discipline and make friends with journalists.
Also at the meeting, the 2017-18 slate of officers was elected:
President: Audrey Muck
President-Elect: (unfilled if anyone is interested in this position)
Vice-President, Programming: Ana Tampanna
Vice-President, Fundraising: Grashia Connelly
Treasurer: Cindy Suerkin
Secretary: Charlotte Goodson
Congratulations to our new officers!
Triad NOW’s next meeting is Tuesday, October 3, 7 p.m. at the Shepherd’s Center
PLEASE NOTE: THE NOVEMBER MEETING HAS BEEN MOVED TO NOVEMBER 14TH, TO ACCOMMODATE ELECTION DAY.